Adam Shamash is an award-winning filmmaker best known for his compelling stories and rich visual style. He has directed short films and documentaries for numerous clients around the world, with a particular focus on the Middle East. In 2014 Adam co-founded Film Pill, an acclaimed production company based in the dynamic East End of London, UK, which has produced content for the BBC, Amazon, The New York Times, TEDx and Virgin. In 2016 Adam opened the North American office of Film Pill in Vancouver, Canada—heart of the so-called “Hollywood North.” Since then he has worked on film and tv productions for major studios, including 20th Century Fox (‘Deadpool 2’, ‘Predator’), DC / Warner Brothers (‘Arrow’, ‘Legends of Tomorrow’), and Netflix (‘Van Helsing’).
The colourful fusion of Iraqi-Jewish and Canadian heritage, Adam believes that film has the power to open hearts and transform minds. Adam’s short films have won several awards, including Best Film, Best Director and Audience Award. He holds a Master’s Degree in Filmmaking from Goldsmith’s / University of London (UK) and a Bachelor’s Degree in Filmmaking from the Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema (Montreal, Canada). He is a member of the Director’s Guild of Canada (DGC).
For more information please visit his website, www.TheFilmmakersQuest.com
Commercial + video production company: www.FilmPillWest.com
- S.O.S.: Xanadu (2016) – a short sci-fi themed call-to-action for supporting victims of the world refugee crises. “A young refugee tells of the suffering and plight of her people after hostile alien forces invade her homeland. This is a cry for help from some strange, distant planet… Or could it be from Earth?” Filmed on location in Jordan, Lebanon, West Bank, Egypt, Mauritania, Morocco and Canada. Completed for a contest by the Radcliffe Foundation.
- The Light Within (2015): “Amidst a climate of fear and global conflict, a young woman searches for the light of hope within.” This acclaimed short film was shot on location in Morocco, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom.
- Baraka Blue: Love & Light (2014) – a music video for hiphop artist Baraka Blue, shot on location in Fes, Morocco. Client: Alchemiya.
- Celebrate Mercy (2013-2014) – shot in Jerusalem, Cairo and Morocco, collectively these 3 short documentaries received half a million views on Youtube.
- River Out of Eden (2013) – a campaign video to protect the Jordan River. Client: Friends of the Earth.
- Breezes of Hope (2012) – a series of 6 short documentaries on development and human rights in the Middle East. Client: the Government of Canada.
- The Middle East: A House Divided (2011) – a short documentary on the past century of history in the Middle East. Client: the Young Presidents’ Org (YPO).
- La Khaima: The Tent of Mile-End (2010) – a multi-award-winning short documentary about a West African’s colourful restaurant in Montreal, Canada, where every meal is served alongside the humour and timeless wisdom of the desert.
- Abdallah of Mile-End (2007) – an award-winning short documentary about an East African immigrant to Canada- his story and life philosophy.
- Imago: Story of a Boy (2002) – an acclaimed short film about a boy who is blind and deaf, and his struggle to reconcile his apparent disabilities with his rich inner world.